Instagram may store and hold all of your data, photos, videos and stories online for life. Instagram is one of the most popular social media networks owned by Facebook and has over 500 million daily active users (as of September 2018) for photo sharing. Before you consider deleting your Instagram account data altogether on your Android or iOS devices, make sure you are fully willing to do so permanently because when you delete your account data, it is gone for good.
Here’s a list of the data Instagram stores in your account:
- All of your mobile phone contacts
- Your profile information
- Search history
- Your connections and who you follow
- Posts you have liked
- Direct messages you have sent to other users
- Videos and photos you have posted
- Stories you have shared
Here are some of the steps for deleting your Instagram data for your account on Android or iOS devices:
- Know the password for your Instagram account
- Now try logging out of all your accounts
- On the home page, click on the Manage accounts link
- You will see ‘X’ appearing next to your account name, tap right it to remove the account you no longer want to appear.
- In order to remove another Instagram account, repeat step 4.
- Now you’ll be able to create/add new accounts to your profile accordingly.
How to delete your Instagram data on an Android device:
- Go to Settings.
- Go to Applications > Manage Applications > Instagram.
- The total storage consumed by Instagram will be listed.
How to delete your Instagram data on an iPhone or iPad (iOS) device:
- Launch Settings app
- Go to General > Usage (and let it prepopulate the sizes)
- The storage space used by Instagram will be shown
Try downloading your Instagram data before deleting your account:
- Visit the official website www.instagram.com
- Now click on the gear icon next to the ‘Edit Profile option’ and from there select ‘Privacy and Security’ button.
- Scroll down to the Data Download option.
- Now click on Request Download.
- Type in your email address if it doesn’t automatically shows up, then click on ‘Next.’
- Now enter your password and click Request Download.
In order to permanently delete your Instagram account, follow the instructions below:
- Go to the Delete Your Account page option. If you’re not logged into your Instagram account on the web, you’ll be requested to log in before doing so.
- Click-check the option from the drop-down menu placed next to ‘Why are you deleting your account?’ Now re-enter your password. You’ll be only able to see the selection check for permanently deleting after you’ve mentioned a reason from the menu. This step is to make sure why users are stressing a lot about their online data amid fragile personal information should’ve never be shared to anyone online. Anyhow!
- Now click on or tap the permanently delete my account option available there.
- If you’d like to delete a different Instagram account, then click the username right at the top-right corner of the Delete Your Account page, now tap on the next to a username and select Log Out. Log back in Instagram for the account you want to delete
Now that you have the necessary steps and know-how for deleting your Instagram data and deleting your Instagram account, you will have more control over your online presence and what data and information are available online when someone searches for your name.