Instagram is a free photo sharing application that enables its users to take photos, apply filters, and share them on social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, etc…
Developed by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger, Instagram is compatible with all iOS and Android devices. According to TechCrunch, as of April 26, 2017, Instagram has 700 million users. Plus 1 million active advertisers, up from 500,000 in September of 2016, with plans to offer them more data and flexibility.
Instagram was founded in 2010 in San Francisco, California and later acquired by Facebook in April 2012.
Here are some of the coolest, most surprising Instagram statistics and facts to know for 2017.
- Most Instagram users are between 18-29 years old.
- Six in ten online adults have Instagram accounts.
- Female internet users are more likely to use Instagram than men, at 38% vs. 26%.
- 32% of teenagers consider Instagram to be the most important social network.
- 2% of Instagram users attended college.
- 26% of Instagram users make more than $75,000 per year.
- There are over 600 million Instagrammers.
- 400 million are active every day.
- As of July 2017, Selena Gomez has the most followers with 123 million. Ariana Grande with 111 million. And Cristiano Ronaldo has 106 million Instagram followers.
- Beyonce holds the record for the most liked Instagram with her pregnancy announcement which garnered almost 11 million likes.
- 95 million photos and videos are shared on Instagram per day.
- Over 40 billion photos and videos have been shared on the Instagram platform since its conception.
- There are 8 million registered businesses using Instagram business profiles.
- Instagram has 1 million monthly active advertisers—up from just 200,000 in March 2016.
- Instagram is estimated to have brought in $1.53 billion in global mobile ad revenue in 2016, which is a 144 percent increase year-over-year according to International Business Times.
6. eMarketer projects that Instagram’s global mobile ad revenues will reach $2.81 billion this year, accounting for over 10 percent of parent company Facebook’s global ad revenues.
7. This year, 70.7% of U.S. companies will use Instagram for marketing, edging out Twitter for the first time.
8. 50% of Instagram users follow at least one business.
9. 60% of users say that they have learned about a product or service on the platform.
- 100 million users use the “stories” feature daily.
- Instagram posts with at least one hashtag average 12.6% more engagement than those without.
- The best time to post on Instagram for the most engagement is at 5 PM on Wednesdays.
- As of December 2016, there were over 282 million selfies on Instagram.
- The most used emoji is the heart <3
- 23.4% of Instagrammers report having been cyberbullied on the platform.
- Pizza is the most widely Instagrammed food, directly ahead of steak and sushi.
- The most popular filters are Clarendon, Gingham and Juno/Lark.